Friday, November 16, 2007

Challenge Reports, Day FIVE

Nina K (Nutritionist)
This is the end of Day 5 for me and I think I will be OK. I do have enough food left to make it. I have been averaging 1235 calories a day and 42 grams of protein. In terms of actual cost per day the average is $1.74. I will have some food left. I bought 5 pounds of potatoes and will have a lot of that left. Potatoes are a really great bargain. They have fiber, potassium and Vitamin C. They are cheap and very easy to prepare in a variety of ways. They are popular, especially with little kids, and easy to digest. Potatoes have gotten a bad rap in recent years with the fad diets, but we shouldn’t blame the potato! Eaten in large portions, potatoes will contribute to weight and blood sugar problems, but eaten in the correct portion size, they are an excellent food. That tends to be the same message for all foods: Eat the right portion size.
- - - - -
Leona (healthy eater)
I got a late start because of events on Sunday and unexpected company yesterday. We started eating more simply and nutritionally several years ago for health reasons. Since then I also began buying at the East Dakotah Natural Foods Co-op.
To avoid paying for their plastic bags and not wanting to waste money or plastic (made from oil), I bring my own containers. Their billing slips showing quantities and prices, so it's easy to see what one is paying. I found Romaine on sale, $2 for 3 heads.
Since one can buy in small quantities, I was able to manage this challenge better. I recommend the Co-op to everyone. Most of the food is organic and locally grown—which I think is very important environmentally. Also it isn't necessarily more expensive.
For breakfast we eat cooked cereals, alternating among Farina, Cracked Wheat/Cracked Rye, & Oatmeal. Eggs and fish twice a week. I cook from scratch, and we often have soup. My plan was to give up coffee, tea, a juice drink each morning, desserts and eat less. My husband chose not do the challenge. I think he sensed “frugality” at one point, so I gave him 2/3 of my banana one day. I knew there would be "challenges," so when my headaches came on I tried to relax and just drink more water.
I've come to really appreciate water. It tastes better than I can ever recall. Maybe because I stopped drinking it from plastic containers. At a Pax Christi meeting on Saturday we discussed oil and water needs around the world. On Sunday our water heater went out. We couldn't get it replaced until Wednesday, so you can imagine my gratefulness that we at least had cold water during those days.
It hasn't been easy, but new Franciscan reading material helped me when I was tempted in body and spirit. The poverty of this whole situation is that I have choices while others don't. I hope we all get better at caring for one another.

No comments: