Sunday, November 18, 2007

Challenge report, Pastor Dave V

(Some excerpts from the first 4 days journal of Pastor Dave V)
Day 1 …Bread and jam for breakfast. Cereal was definitely too expensive, although we could have bought oatmeal. But could we stand it without raisins and walnuts?…we had to make a choice between milk and coffee. The coffee won out. I couldn't make it through a week without coffee.
How do people do this? Especially if they have children. We wouldn't have been able to choose as we did if our kids were still at home. There wouldn't have been any coffee then. …

Day 2 …I often have a working lunch at a restaurant.… Around $10 per person with the tip. If I'd done that today, half of my food allowance for the week would already be accounted for.

I was really hungry by 8:30 and savored every bite. It felt good to top things off with a cup of tea before bed.

Day 3. Breakfast was 2 pieces of toast again, with jam. About three cups of coffee. And a banana that was badly bruised. I only was able to eat about 1/3 of it. … we've used more than our allotment of bread slices. … you have to pace yourself. …

…I usually do eat too much—and often without thinking. This process forces me to think seriously about what I will eat and when I will eat it. I just may lose a few pounds this week!… creative work is always difficult and often prompts me to head for the cabinet, grab a few crackers, a handful of nuts or raisins, or possibly a can of soda. …Multiple times, I stood up, went into the kitchen, and then walked back into the study… I realize, with gratitude, that it is only one week and I can return to my usual diet. Many people do not have that luxury.

… Day 4 was my worst day. The menu is boring. You can eat only so much bread and jam. … I feel a little like my dog, who gets the same food day after day.

Arlene gave blood at church today (I couldn't because of travel to central/south America). I envy her, though, because she used the occasion to eat a couple of cookies. She said, "I'll give more tomorrow, if I can have more cookies!"

… it's hard to hang around the house and not eat. I decided to work in the yard for awhile and then take a long walk with the dog. I'm not sure that was such a good idea. I came home hungry: even after supper, I feel unsatisfied. I'm sure I will lose some weight out of the deal. But what if I were a young person and needed calories and a balanced diet to grow? …

No comments: