Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Week's End Thoughts

Andrew I (staff of Native American Organizing Project)
Ah-man, it was pretty challenging. I am from a background where Mainstream society would consider my family severely economically disadvantaged, yet we always seem to get by in a good way. Always love and some food in the house. More love than the latter. Not all in that situation around us were as fortunate.
This week reminded me how fortunate I currently am at this point in my life. I do live paycheck to paycheck as most do in Rapid City, and I struggle to keep food on the table and the necessities for my children, yet we manage only because I learned good crisis management from my parents.
I was a little embarrassed to tell my kids and my wife that I was hungry, but I wanted to stick to the SD Food Stamp Challenge, as it is humbling to know how those I care about and advocate for may feel on a daily basis. I too was angry at times thinking about how many Native families I know struggle far more than I, and yet they have to be on the defense with safety net services that could possibly help them. From mean or unprofessional case managers to rules that go against the community values of our culture and force many to go hungry for no reason. Some members of our community consider this type of institutional racism the worst as it affects the children and elders the hardest. No one should go hungry, especially if it is a preventable situation.
I am a fortunate one in Rapid City. Not all of my relatives know how to empower themselves by joining together with others. There are good reasons why many stand back, but it's good to see organizations like yours step up for the people and show everyone that human kindness and institutional responsibility can create a positive outcome, when we all put our minds to it...wouldn't ya say?

No comments: