Saturday, November 17, 2007

Cookie Crisis

In a meeting over a month ago I agreed to take cookies to a church event today. I forgot all about this when planning and shopping for this week's food and was reminded only this morning. In the spirit of the Food Stamp Challenge, this is a crisis.
This week's foods at our house include nothing for making cookies: no butter or margarine or even oil, no sugar or molasses, no flour, no eggs, no ginger or cinnamon or baking soda. Not even oatmeal. We have only salt.
What to do? Do I make the cookies from what we have in the cupboard that we have deemed off limits this week? That would seem equivalent to borrowing every single ingredient from neighbors or buying these ingredients using money that should pay a heating bill or some other essential. Or, do I just not take any cookies, hope no one notices, and experience what that feels like?
On the other hand, what if I had not forgot? Could I have found cookies to buy that look homemade? What would I have given up to buy them? It's more to ponder from my week on the Challenge. Cathy B

2 comments:

Jeff and Judee said...

So, Cathy, what did you do? I think it's a very real situation for people on food stamps. I remember times when I couldn't volunteer to make something and knew it was "my turn" but had to keep silent because I couldn't follow through.

Anonymous said...

I am a Food Stamp recipient as well. I turned down eating out which I do almost every Wednesday and going to lunch with my granson who works across the hall from me at the Mall because of the challenge. I am considering filing a complaint about the Thrift Center across the street from me 0 It is the Thrift Center Express on Sturgis Road. I now walk to Safeway because of their treatment of me. They removed their vegetarian section from the store completely; they often have sales which end before the FS come out. The worst was this month. They had the Naked Fruit and Veggie Drinks for .99 and then when food stamps came out they raised the price to $3.29. They often have the nonfat yogurt on sale 10/5.00 but when FS come out it goes up to regular price of .79 each. Nash Finch Owns the stores along with Prairie Market.