Saturday, November 17, 2007

Challenge Report, Day SIX

from Brian S (pastor)
Well, it's day 6 and the challenge is almost over. Here's a recap of my week 'by the numbers':

0 - Amount I spent on butter before the challenge- big mistake!


½ - number of gallons of milk, which surprised me and carried me for the whole week (though I only used it for cereal)


1.72 - according to the global rich list (http://www.globalrichlist.com/), I am in the top 1.72% of the world's richest people- a sobering statistic especially when I add it to the perspective I gained from being on the challenge this week


2 - pounds of hamburger I bought for the challenge - I missed chicken and other meats.


3.5 - Number of days that my 2-liter bottle of Pepsi maintained its carbonation!


4 - the number of pounds I lost while on the challenge


19 - number of slices of bread in the loaf I bought - enough for 7 PBJs and 5 slices to use at my discretion! Toast never tasted so good!


25:35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home.

These famous words from Jesus quoted in Matthew 25:35 also have new perspective and take on a more real meaning after having gone through the challenge. Knowing that many people exist off of the $3 a day, it's no wonder that there are still gaps that exist here in Sioux Falls an throughout our country. While the gap continues to widen between those who have and those who don't, it is the responsibility of those who claim faith to take steps to bridge the chasm, and this project provides one small but real step in doing that.

No comments: