Thursday, November 15, 2007

Challenge Report, Day FOUR

from Brian (pastor)
It's day four of the food stamp challenge and I am settling into the routine. While boring and not nearly as filling as my normal diet, it has been ok. I think several things stand out at me.
The first thing I see is the emotional connection I make with food. If I have a rough day, am feeling a little stress, or even have something that I am positive about and want to celebrate, it usually involves food in some way. I connect food with emotions so much that I didn’t realize, until the means were no longer there, of how often I feel pulled to eat because of how I am feeling.
The second thing I have experienced is a periodic sense of hoarding or protecting my food from my family. My young sons do not understand what daddy is doing, and I got a bit defensive when they wanted some of daddy’s cereal, knowing that I barely have enough to make it a week. I was tempted to claim my one year old son as part of the challenge with me knowing that he’d bring in an additional $21 for me for the week even though he wouldn’t require that much! I know it’s somewhat twisted thinking, but I wonder how much of that thinking exists in long term situations.
Finally, the biggest realization for me to date has been that I have options while many on food stamps do not. I may be able to ‘make it’ on this diet, but as someone who doesn’t have to do it, I realize my increased options are luxuries and freedoms others don’t have. I might be able to make it on $3 a day, but I’d also have the option of grabbing some fast food. I might be able to scale back on my food budget, but I have the option of purchasing comfort foods, or healthier foods, or better meats, or whatever. And for me, this has been one of the bigger realizations.
- - - - -
from Dana (low-income. She's on the Challenge, not her children.)
Ok I have to say by the third night, dinner was already harder, because it was my third night eating some sort of chicken drumsticks. I felt like I was walking like a chicken. I baked it with only salt seasoning packets for a long time because I hate seeing the blood veins...ew. I made plain rice which I ate with plain yogurt. My kids had eaten almost all my tea biscuits, (Bear in mind, they have their own food, are eating good AND I am cooking for them.) My biggest problem so far has been my horrible habit of not eating breakfast and only drinking a caffeinated drink all morning. I could see now why I crash so hard in the afternoon and why my diet is so horrible. I will blame the computer for no breakfast.
On the 4th day I also didn't want breakfast and my oatmeal is still unopened. I love oatmeal too, just don't know if I can hack it without milk. I don't know how some people bought Hamburger Helper or hamburger without the extra stuff, but it's ok. I am low-income and am used to and DETEST Hamburger Helper. I don't even know if I would eat it if I was starving, at this point. Anyway, no breakfast and had to make a run to sell beadwork. I cheated. I bought a 20 oz. coke on the way home at about 2pm. I was so tired I needed the caffeine...or thought I did. I took two drinks and it tasted so bad, like syrup. I gave it to my son when I got home.
So when I came home, ramen noodles for lunch which my two youngest immediately thought was for them, so I shared two packs. A couple of my dwindling tea biscuits...and I am telling you, if you never saw them, look for them. Mine were 50 cents and if I knew my kids love them I would have paid the extra two dollars on the Chips Ahoy.
So anyways...supper was purely veggie because if I look at another drumstick today I might puke chicken skin. I ate rice, with lima beans from the can, and spinach from the can. (very small cans, I saved half for later.) I put butter and pepper packets with it all and it was screaming from dill weed but I ate it.
Tomorrow is another day. I made it with only a little cheating. I think tomorrow will be another chicken day if I can get a pack of bbq sauce for it at the local convenience store. Good luck everyone else.

3 comments:

Dana Dane said...

i like Brians realizations about options...being i live in a slightly remote area I do have the option of eating fast food because there are a couple of places here,
BUT at the same time it is not an option for me and my kids because we can't afford it. Therefore where I once used to eat at nice place in quaint tourist towns, fast food is now a luxury.
We are happy...life isn't about money, I try to emphasize that all the time but I will have to wait and hope that my kids take different paths to have better lifestyles but I hope they don't see life as "Money makes you happy" but see it as more "You make yourself happy" Sometimes 30 great seconds of watching your kids laugh and play is what life is about, you know?
Good luck Brian, you should blog, you would be a great blogger.

Anonymous said...

Charlie: Pastor. One thing I have noticed is how living close to the edge can lead to social alianation. I could have eaten 3 or 4 times at church this week in rotating lunch affairs to which I contribute every sevent or eighth week. I have had to skip my "roll dice for coffee" game at the tavern for fear that I might lose and get stuck for $7 worth of coffee. Our household has already spent our alotted amount and it looks like we will have some leftover turkey and 2 or 3 cans of vegetables left on Saturday evening. My biggest craving is for sugar, which we couldn't buy because a whole bag would have driven over our limit. Luckily I noticed that canned peas have 3 grams of sugar per serving, so I dumped a few into my coffee this morning. (Just kidding!)

Jeff and Judee said...

Brian, you raised an issue with your son. People are alotted food stamps based on the number of people in their family - not on their needs based on their age/size. A family with 3 small children can stretch their food stamps farther than a family with three pre-teen/early teens when they it is nearly impossible to fill them up! Glad you resisted though - you are true to your word!