Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Challenge Reports, Day THREE

from Doug B (pastor)
It’s my third day I think I’m hitting my stride. I’m acutely aware that my menu is going to become very monotonous. I guess with a little practice I could improve on my menu and create more variety. I’m also acutely aware that the vast majority of food marketing is for those with a hugely higher food budgets. From commercials to the placement on the supermarket shelves, those on food stamps have to wade through all the high and over priced items to find the economy products on the shelf closest to the floor. I’ve also become aware that I spend a lot more on food than I need to. Being on this challenge will affect my personal food budget in the weeks to come. Day four…bring it on.
- - - - -
from Dana (most expert foodstamp stretcher, from Pine Ridge)
I had to drive about an hour away to go shopping, because if I had to shop here, 21 dollars wouldn't have stretched as far. I wouldn't have been able to buy my veggies in bulk, found and bargain bins, and I would have had to pay twice the amount on the reservation for everything I was able to buy. In all, I wouldn't have been able to buy as healthy of food here as I would an hour away.
I can smell a clearance sale from a mile away. I bought my veggies in bulk and very few to cook with and to give some chicken drumsticks flavor all week. I found the smallest onion, peeled cloves off the bulk garlic and ripped a small piece of the ginger root off. Almost everything I bought was store brand, and I hit up every clearance food bin I could find.
I already made the southwest chicken chili the first night, last night I had chicken adobo which is chicken boiled in soy sauce and vinegar and seasoned with onion and garlic. I usually don't use salt anyway but if anyone actually NEEDS salt, soy sauce can be used as a replacement and is often a to go condiment in little packets at places to eat.
Good luck to everyone else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm having a hard time staying on the challenge when I'm gone the entire day and then end up heading out of town. I learned I need to think ahead to bring an apple and slice of cheese or it is a very long day!

I have a thought about staples for the next challenge. If a person received a month's worth of food stamps, it would allow them some flexibility such as a very small % for staples - although those are items that are built up over time. I have enjoyed the comments though. Brian went to three stores! Great idea and some can do it - but there are some food stamp recipients that don't have the transportation. My problem was time. Also, it's true that some of the greatest values are found at places that don't take food stamps. Just reinforces the fact that not having money is a barrier to saving money (i.e. being able to purchase a car that does> not break down all the time and cost in car repair - or having to buy a car on credit with a very high interest rate!) This is way more boring than I'm used to and I've had to turn down two invitations to go out to eat this week. I hadn't realized how much what I do centers around eating out with friends. Hmmmmm.... Thanks for the challenge!